Choosing a new beauty product is like making a new friend. It may take some trial and error to find the one that makes you feel your best. To bypass that getting-to-know-you period, allow us to introduce you to products that will never let you down. We turned to our panel of top doctors and industry pros for skincare that works, holy grail hair finds, makeup must-haves, and more.
Get to know Prevention’s expert panel:
- Mona Gohara, M.D., a dermatologist in Connecticut, assistant clinical professor at Yale School of Medicine, and co-creator of MELĒ skincare
- Shari Marchbein, M.D., a New York City-based dermatologist and a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Heather Woolery-Lloyd, M.D., director of the Skin of Color Division for the University ofMiami and creator of Specific Beauty
- Leigh Hardges, a stylist with more than 15 years of experience at Maxine Salon in Chicago
- Shab Reslan, a HairClub health expert, hairstylist, and founder of the Hair Like Hers podcast
- Jessica Morse, founder of Bare Beauty and non-toxic nail salon The Water Room in Charleston, SC, and Atlanta
- Mai Quynh, a celebrity makeup artist in Los Angeles
PRO TIP: SPF should be put on the face, ears, neck, and hands every morning and reapplied every two hours when you’re exposed to the sun—even if you’re just sitting near a window!
PRO TIP: Dab on your spot treatment where you need it before putting on moisturizer (ideally at night) so it really has a chance to penetrate the skin and work its zit-zapping magic.
PRO TIP: Apply retinol at night before bed. Put a pea-size amount on your finger and divide it equally among the four quadrants of your face. Follow with moisturizer to minimize redness and peeling.
PRO TIP: For brows that look natural, focus more of the product on the outer edges. Packing too much on the inner areas toward your nose often results in a “blocky” look, Quynh says. If you mess up or apply too much, use a clean spoolie to brush out any clumps.
PRO TIP: Dot the concealer where you need it and use a bare brush to buff gently. For a seamless finish, start with less product and slowly add more in thin layers.
PRO TIP: Spray this detangler onto your hair to air-dry or before using any thermal tool, as it also provides protection.